Intro to Art 1064

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Chelsea Galleries Reaction

   During this field trip we were asked to go the many art galliers located in Chelsea, this is a new experience for me because the only art I have ever seen has been in muesum and as many of you know they are non-profit. Galleries on the other hand are all for profit and it interested me how diffrent it can be. The assignment was to pick one exhibition i would like to "purchase" and another i wouldn't spend a dime on. The David Zwirner Gallery featured the artist Yan Pei-Ming and the works on display were ones that I wouldn't mind having on a wall in my house, on the other hand when i went to the Tanya Bonakdar where Ernesto Neto was displaying his works they were something I would not take into my house if they were offered to me for free.
  Yan Pei-Ming's exhibt of black paintings had 2 that really caught my attention, those being "moonlight" and "all crows under the sun are black". Both of those works are done in completly diffrent shades of black and its amazing how from afar you cant really see anything but smudges but when you take a moment and really start to look into the painting you get a real appreication for all the details and hard work that went into using one color to show many diffrent things. These are pieces of art that if my funds allowed i would buy not to resell at a later date but just because i enjoy the pieces themselves.
  On the flip side when i saw Ernesto Neto's works specifically the "grub measure" and "the sun lits life, let the son" both of these pieces in my opinion were just space wasters. Maybe i just dont get it or its not for me but nothing about these pieces caught my attention and make me want to buy them i just kept thinking why would anyone want this in their house. The size of it was another issue i had with it, unlike a painting where one could store these pieces were massive and oddly shaped to the point that on top of buying them one would have to spend money to have it properly displayed in ones house, too many issues for something i dont even like.


Works Cited

Yan Pei-Ming
"moonlight"
2011

Yan Pei-Ming
"all crows under the sun are black"
2012

Ernesto Neto
"grub measure"
2012

Ernesto Neto
"the sun lits life, let the son"
2012

No comments:

Post a Comment