Intro to Art 1064

Monday, June 4, 2012

The Misinterpretation Of Blue


For my final field trip and project I chose to take the alternate choice of using the MoMa’s permeate collection to create my own exhibition. The theme I chose to exhibit was the color blue, not only is blue my favorite color but I like the way one uses different shades of blue to mean or express different feelings or emotions. When most people imagine blue the first thing to mind is sadness or feeling down because society has associated those emotions to it, ex. Feeling blue, I want this exhibit to show blue can express more than that one single emotion but displaying works of art that span the entire spectrum of human emotion.
To give a small sampling of my exhibit here are 3 pieces that I think describe my theme pretty well. To start things off I picked a piece that I wrote about in my first field trip reaction to MoMa, that piece is “727” by Japanese artist Takashi Murakami. The piece is an anime inspired creature riding a wave in an ocean set to the style of old Japanese art. The color blue is used throughout the piece, the water is blue and is show as strong and a force of nature that is not to be reckoned with, as well as the creature whose body is also blue is shown in the same light. My second piece is a well-known piece by Vincent Van Gogh, that piece is “Starry Night”. Throughout the entire piece the color blue is used in different shades but they all help paint this sense of emotional tranquility. The blues used in the sky with those from the town below give the person a sense that at least for this night the town is at peace and will sleep with no disruptions. Finally I wanted to show that the color blue can be used outside of paintings to show emotion, in the case of the “vase” made by  Koloman Moser it has an appearance of being old due to the brown lines that separate what looks like pools of blue spots surround the entire vase. One can see that paired with some flowers this could make a room pop or give it that eye catching center of attention a room need to be complete. This is just a small sampling of what my exhibit hopes to showcase the full exhibit will be below for your full enjoyment.


 Takashi Murakami, "727",1996, Paintings & Sculptures 
 Roman Signer,"Board",1980,Media & Performance Art
 Tobia Scarpa,"Bowl",1960, Architecture & Design 
 Fernand Leger,"Exit the Ballets Russes",1914,Painting & Sculpture 
 Salvador Vali, "Illumined Pleasures",1929,Painting & Sculpture 
 Jacob Lawrence,"flood",1940-1941.Painting & Sculpture 
 Kaj Franck,"Kilta Storage Container",1948, Architecture & Design
Lester Beall,"Light-Rural Electrification Administration",1937,Architecture & Design  
 Philip Taaffe,"Necromancer",1989-1990,Painting & Sculpture 
 Jack Youngerman,"Ram",1959,Painting & Sculpture 
 Unkown,"Silver Streak Iron",1946,Architecture & Design
 Maria Lassnig,"Untitled",1998-2001,Drawings
 Koloman Moser,"Vase",1902,Architecture & Design
 Claude Monet,"Water Lilies",1914-1926,Painting & Sculpture  
 Vincent Van Gogh,"The Olive Trees",1889,Painting & Sculpture 
Vincent Van Gogh,"Starry Night",1889,Painting & Sculpture 



No comments:

Post a Comment